Our Oncology service operates on a Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. We work as a team with our medical specialists and Allied Health professionals to provide the best possible care for the special needs of people with cancer.
Nursing staff within the Oncology Unit have extensive experience in all aspects of cancer care. Apart from the administration of chemotherapy and other treatment related services, services such as family education, counselling and support to cancer patients in the unit are also provided.
We are happy to accommodate many elements of cancer care for patients requiring chemotherapy and palliative care.
To help our patients and visitors understand how the unit operates, the following information may be helpful:
- Not all cancers are treated with the same chemotherapy. The oncologist will order the chemotherapy that best suits the patient and their condition.
- Some patients see the oncologist prior to every treatment, whereas others may see the Doctor every month and have treatment with the nurses on a weekly or fortnightly basis.
- Upon arrival to the unit for treatment or an appointment with the Doctor, patients must see the Ward Clerk so we know that they are here.
- After patients have seen the Doctor they need to give the Ward Clerk the white and pink prescription sheets along with any drugs from the chemist they have brought with them. The white sheet will then be labelled and we will give it to the hospital pharmacy.
- The Ward Clerk will also arrange for your next appointments.
- Sometimes side effects of your treatment (low blood count, nausea or vomiting) mean that the patient may not be able to have treatment. If the patient does not feel well and they haven’t seen the Doctor, please let nursing staff know.
- It is important that patients have a blood test form from the Oncologist and have their blood taken on the Monday or Friday before their next appointment with the oncologist. It is also important that they have enough anti-nausea or anti diarrhoea scripts. We can assist if the patient requires more scripts for this medication.