Bairnsdale Regional Health Service is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information and we work hard to embed a respect for privacy into our culture.
- We are required by law to protect personal information and comply with the Health Records Act 2001 (HRA) and other information relating to confidentiality and privacy.
- In accordance with Part II of the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 1982, we are also required to publish certain statements relating to our functions, processes and documents held: Freedom of Information Statement 11 Publication of Information
- Strict guidelines are followed in relation to the collection, use and storage of personal information with only appropriately authorised staff having access to your information.
- Our focus is always on providing you with best possible treatment and care and we only gather personal information that is necessary to achieving this.
- Your permission is required before we will share your information with others including your family members and other health professionals (such as your GP or specialist). There may be times however where we might be required to release information to assist with your care without first obtaining your permission for example, in an emergency situation.
- You have the right to access your medical record and personal information held by the BRHS.
- If you identify information that is incorrect or you do not agree with, you have the right to request that it be amended in a timely manner.
Access to your information
The Freedom of Information Act 1982 sets out your right to access your medical record and personal information held by BRHS. If you would like access to your Medical Record you can contact the Chief Health Information Manager. For more information, including applicable fees, please complete the freedom-of-information-application-form-final-approved-v3-june-2017
If you identify information that is incorrect or you do not agree with, you have the right to request that it be amended. This can be arranged through the Chief Health Information Manager who can be contacted on 03 5150 333 or by email.
Need more information?
If you have further questions or would like to request access to your information contact the Chief Health Information Manager . Other useful information can be found at the following locations:
The Department of Health also provides an overview of the Victorian Health Records Act here.
Health Record Requests
BRHS provide the public with access to both their medical records and those of their relatives as required under the Freedom of Information Act 1982.